Re: Outboard engine reliability

[Bulletin Board]

Posted by Bob Laskodi on 2018-10-09 12:07:21 in reply to Re: Outboard engine reliability posted by GES on 2018-10-09 09:56:08

Every outboard engine sold in CAL since the early 2000's has a CARB sticker on it on the back engine cowling. It doesn't matter if it's a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke. If you bought your engine in CAL after early 2000 it has to have one. If it doesn't have one you are pretty well hosed as the only way to get one is to contact the manufacturer for one, and that is a difficult process. It has from one to four stars on it, which identifies the "cleaness" of the engine. Four stars is the highest. Each individual governmental authority can specify the "cleaness" requirement for its waters. For example, San Luis Reservoir has a two star minimum requirement. If your outboard doesn't have it, you will be denied permission to launch. Right now, ONLY inland waterways have CARB requirements, so it is not required for saltwater.

Follow ups:

Post a Followup:


Use the space below to compose your message: