Things I don't understand
Posted by Bill Bishop on 2014-04-11 14:41:41
|I've seen my fair share of anglers miss out on the opportunity to catch their first tarpon on fly for reasons that defy logic.|
Guides, even the best of them, can't make up for some anglers mistakes. For example, why do anglers sit down in the skiff and leave the guide with the total responsibility for spotting fish? I recognize some anglers might have some physical issues however those that don't need to be on their feet with rod in hand in order to take advantage of most opportunities. The process of getting on your feet, capturing the rod and line, spotting the incoming tarpon and making a accurate presentation is a long shot at best. Guides hate to see their anglers sit down as much as anglers would hate seeing their guides sit down on the job. Anglers who sit down because they are tired of standing are really going to get their butts kicked when a 120 pound tarpon eats their fly!!!
In the top fisheries, most tarpon trips are booked well in advance. If not, guides are already booked. Serious anglers would do well to recognize there are some things that can be done to improve their odds. Conditioning is a key. Seas can be challenging on legs and balance. Taking the time available to do a little conditioning can go a long way toward success.
Take a moment and look around the anglers on neighboring skiffs who are launching tarpon. They are on their feet and standing at the ready 24/7.
Casting heavier rods can be challenging as well. Use the time available to learn how to throw a minimum of 50 to 60 feet accurately with a minimum of false casting. Practice in the wind. It's not like it's not going to blow. It will!
There is nothing casual or relaxing about this game. The conditions are typically challenging, the temperatures are hot and humid and the fish are big, fast, strong and don't give up easily.
- Re: Things I don't understand - JJ - 2014-04-14 08:30:12 (0 replies) (144 views)
- Re: Things I don't understand - Michael Rosa - 2014-04-13 17:43:15 (0 replies) (170 views)
- Re: Things I don't understand - Steve Birrer - 2014-04-13 08:15:28 (18 replies) (342 views)
- Re: Things I don't understand - Dave Sellers - 2014-04-12 18:25:27 (0 replies) (235 views)
- Amen - Jay Townsend - 2014-04-12 07:10:33 (10 replies) (315 views)
- Re: Amen - Bill Bishop - 2014-04-12 09:03:53 (4 replies) (236 views)
- Re: Amen - Jay Townsend - 2014-04-12 11:55:43 (0 replies) (184 views)
- Re: Amen - Dan Blanton - 2014-04-12 11:22:53 (2 replies) (206 views)
- Re: Amen - Bill Bishop - 2014-04-12 14:47:57 (1 replies) (194 views)
- Re: Amen - Dan Blanton - 2014-04-12 16:52:27 (0 replies) (192 views)
- Re: Amen - Michael Rosa - 2014-04-12 07:15:12 (4 replies) (237 views)
- Re: Amen - Jay Townsend - 2014-04-12 12:02:41 (2 replies) (199 views)
- Re: Amen - ray hafsten - 2014-04-12 16:31:09 (1 replies) (184 views)
- Re: Amen - Jay Townsend - 2014-04-12 18:06:08 (0 replies) (179 views)
- Re: Amen - Jay Townsend - 2014-04-12 11:43:17 (0 replies) (168 views)
- Re: Things I don't understand - Dan Blanton - 2014-04-11 15:41:16 (8 replies) (404 views)
Post a Followup: