Re: Gulf Coast - Lots going on down here!
Posted by Kyle M. on 2013-06-25 08:58:56
in reply to shore fishing on gulf coast? posted by Doug on 2013-06-24 15:38:36
1. Go to Louisiana Fly Fishing website and then check out the "New Forum":
This forum is the most active coastal fly fishing site on the the central Gulf Coast. Tons of info...
2. Check out Bruce Sublett's Gulf and Ozark Flies, "Spex on the Beach" presentation:
3. Join your local Federation of Fly Fishers (FFF) club. Whether ya' live in the Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama or Florida, virtually all the major towns on the Gulf Coast have Federation clubs that are full of knowledgeable fly fishers willing to show you the ropes, including location, techniques, and proven local patterns.
4. Come to the Gulf Coast Council Federation of Fly Fishers Fly Fair this Oct.19 in Gulf Shores, Mississippi. Great tyers, plenty of FFF Certified Casting Instructors and Master Casting Instructors, programs for fishing warm water, marsh and the Gulf with long rods, some of the south's best tyers, and of course good eats and a great party... The folks down here are well-known for having a good time!
5. If you're in Florida, Georgia or the east coast, the Florida Council of the Federation will host the Florida Fly Fishing Expo, October 17-20, 2013, at the Plantation on Crystal River. Again, this too will be a "not to be missed show!"
6. Heck, this coming weekend, June 28th - 30, there will be 80+ fly fishers gathering at the Blue Dolphin Inn on Grand Isle, LA. This outing is headed up by the Red Stick Fly Fishers - RSFF, Baton Rouge, LA: http://www.rsff.org/
At this gathering, there will be experienced fly fishers representing nine or ten clubs, from Texas to Alabama. We expect ample numbers of reds and specks to be brought to the hands of folks using long rods, and of course being from south Louisiana, the food will be FABULOUS - boiled jumbo shrimp with potatoes and corn, fried shrimp, fried specks and reds, french fries, fried eggplant, cobblers, and other fixings! HA!
Post a Followup: