Re: Flouro-Carbon .VS. SpiderWire braid
Posted by Dave Sellers on 2010-09-18 18:57:40
in reply to Flouro-Carbon .VS. SpiderWire braid posted by Angel on 2010-09-18 11:09:41
Here are some causes of a break offs on stripers, not necessarily in order but close to it.
1) Bad knot
2) Old knot (after catching too many fish)
3) Too light a tippet
4) Wind knot or nick in line
5) bad fish fighting (lock up on too weighty a fish or straight lining at the wrong time etc.)
6) Structure break off
7) Freak accident such as gill flare slice which can occur if a big fish rolls or turns at just the wrong time or if the hook eye has a sharp edge at the crimp point.
8) last and certainly least flouro vs. mono. Flouro can appear to be more abrasion resistant because you won't notice as much roughness on the line after a hot session but you can still manage a break off just fine by subjecting it to the causes I have listed above.
Hope this helps. Start with a complete review of your knot system and then go from there.